Monday, July 20, 2009

Soccer, Eric, and Pick Axes

We spent today working at Neuvos Amigos (that is probably spelled wrong). I helped paint railings with black aluminum paint, which I discovered you can't get off unless you use turpentine(again, probably spelled wrong). I also helped break up rocks in this little lot that they are going to put concrete in. Pick axes make you feel very empowered. During lunch we were planning what we wanted to do at the vbs we are holding on Friday. While we were talking, Aunt Michelle suddenly stood up and called "Eric!" in a very happy and surprised voice. I looked up and saw this little boy with an orange soccer jersey on standing on the top of the hill staring at us. When he saw Michelle he stretched out his arms and started coming down the hill. He instanly went over to us and started giving us hugs and high fives, not even knowing who we were. I noticed that he had his shoes on the wrong feet and his pinky finger on his left hand was deformed. This was Eric. I had been told about him before. He's mentally impaired and can't talk very well. This little kid changed my life. He is so loving and curious and wants to be around you all the time. Everything makes him laugh and when he does it makes you laugh too. I was taking a picture when I felt a little head next to mine. Eric's eyes boggled at my camera as his little hands reached towards it. I took it off my neck and placed it over Eric's, guiding his hands to the buttons. I was out of film, but he just loved looking through the lens and directing people to stand together for a shot. We played soccer with him and some other kids from the school. First off, kids in Ecuador are crazy good at soccer, and second, I've never had that much fun playing soccer in my life. This experience has blown me away, and it's only my third day here!
Kathleen




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter