Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Dump and Compassion Day

The Dump was awesome and terrible at the same time.First off we played at the day care with the dump workers kids. It was a blast Miguel and I were having so much fun. We were having so much fun and then we went to the dump. Debrief that night, Rick read read us a passage out of the Bible:

1 Samuel 2:7-8

7 The Lord makes some poor and others rich; he brings some down and lifts others up. 8 He lifts the poor from the dust and the needy from the garbage dump.


As we walked over to the dump I was amazed and ready to meet some people that needed help. We walked up some stairs and stood on a raised platform and watched them like they were entertainment. We just sat there and watched them like a tour of the place. I thought in my head when I was in Harry London Chocolate Factory we did the exact same thing. I thought in my head that the man that worked there was saying "and here is our garbage dump and these are our hard workers." I wanted sooooo badly to go down and just shake one of there hands. But sadly we weren't allowed to take pictures. But it's okay cause you have to actually be there to really experience it.


Compassion Day was also awesome we got to meet our compassion child, Josselyn. We played at the park in the middle of town. We got ice cream, went paddle boating and the girls went to the flower garden. After we went to Teleferico, the cable car in Quito.We got some awesome pics and had a blast. There's an amusement park at the bottom with some rides and games. But the hardest part of the day was saying good bye:( It was so hard. And yes, that day, I really, I truly, I promise you, I ATE GUINEA PIG!

5 comments:

  1. Matthew,

    This really got to me. You comparison of the candy factory and the dump was chilling. Keep writing...you have a gift. Thanks for taking good care of our girls this week.

    Love,
    Uncle Net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - I now view our "pet" guinea pig in a whole new way - "hey kids - guess what we're having for dinner tonight? Dev - get Oreo out of his cage!" uh....ewe. ~ Miss Dinese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, i posted a comment to you yesterday matthew and i have no idea where it went! I ended up on someone elses blog! I just want to say that I love reading your perspective of the mission trip. I was so sad about the dump and how you must have felt there. But I am very encouraged by the work the Lord is doing in your heart! We are praying for you~keep up the great service in the Lord! Philippians 2:3-15

    Cousin Tracy =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There she is!!! Mallory the NEXT top model! LOL
    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the "next top model" for Mallory !!!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter