Monday, July 13, 2009

Ministering to street kids

We spent some time on Sunday afternoon with Michelle von Debschitz and a couple of her friends. She has been our local lifeline from the instant we landed, literally. Michelle is from Ohio and has been in Quito for like 5 years. She is truly a remarkable lady and has been called to serve the street children of Quito. But I am not talking about joining ranks with some established ministry and the security that comes with it. No, Michelle came here completely on her own and she is flying solo, building relationships in very challenging circumstances.

On the surface it may look like playing with kids in the park, but it is way more complicated than that. Michelle doesn't believe in playing it safe. She is out there on her own in some rough areas, making sure these precious children know that Jesus loves them. If you would like to get behind some street-level ministry to children that may have no other chance to know the Love of Christ, it would be my privilege to make the introduction. She is the real deal.




4 comments:

  1. hola gang!
    i can't wait to get down there and meet michelle and get to see what i've been reading about! I can't believe i'll be down there on saturday!!!!!
    See you soon
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing family you are!! I've just read all your posts to date since you arrived (I lost the blog address, long, silly story ... but good news is I found it again). I love that you're all posting about your experience.

    After this, I just couldn't imagine hearing one of your kids complain that they're bored ... they are gaining such an enlightened perspective in what you're doing.

    Kudos to you all. I admire you--your dedication, generosity and selflessness. So proud of all you're doing.

    Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of you guys often and keep praying God will take your visit to Ecuador and use it in mighty way. And yes, I had the privilege of spending an afternoon with Michele. She is the real deal. Tell her Bruce said hello.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter