Thursday, July 30, 2009

God really is in control

I woke up today a little bummed because we really want to spend some time at the dump and orphanage but are having some transportation issues. The kids are getting restless and need to be out of the house a bit. So we decided to head to Carolina park for the afternoon to let the kids burn off some energy. Shortly after we got there I noticed a little boy watching the kids swing. He looked like he might be a street kid but I didn't see a shoe shine kit or anything else he might be selling. I said hello and asked his name but he quickly lowered his eyes to the ground. It is sad to witness how poverty tells people that they are worth nothing. He didn't answer but he didn't leave either. He stood watching and I waved ocassionally.

Eventually I went over and put my hand out and he put his in mine. I asked his name again and he said Eddie. He told me he was eight. A few minutes later and older boy riding a bike with a cooler and snow cone maker on it rode up. Eddie went over to him. His name was Jefferson and he was 13. I asked if they were brothers and he said yes. So they just sat by the bike for a while watching our kids play. Eventually Steve kicked a soccer ball to Jefferson and he kicked it back. We began kicking the ball around together. Eddie started teasing his brother when he had the ball and laughing. Soon Eddie, Jon, Mallory and Ellie were hanging upside down on a bar laughing. Jefferson never strayed too far from his bike but had a great time anyway.

At some point I noticed some well dressed Ecuadorians walking with their children near us. They looked at us and then at the street kids as though they were in disbelief that we were playing with them. It made me sad but also proud. Sad because they are treated this way all the time. Proud because I didn't care what they thought and neither did my kids. Sadly, this was not the only group to look at us this way.

We ended up playing with them for at least an hour and a half. We had so much fun. I enjoyed watching them open up to us as they began to trust us. We invited them back to play with us on Sunday afternoon. Our friend Michelle is at the park every Sunday at 2:00 to meet with her street kids. We have been joining her and having a blast. She just loves on these kids as Jesus would. What fun it would be if they come back to see us.

So.....what started out to be a grumpy, dissapointing day because my plans were not working out turned into an amazing God filled day. Sometimes I have to let go of my control and let Him lead me. He really is in control.

Michelle



1 comment:

  1. Hey! I loved your blog. I love being able to picture what your talking about because I was their. Today I got to share some pictures with people I work with. Although the week was hard at times, I am so glad I went and wouldn't traded a minute of it. I miss you all.
    Love Hannah

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter