Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chinese Food In Ecuador?

As the title states, last night we went to a Chinese resturant for dinner. During my "culinary" experience on this trip, I have discovered a couple of things. First, I have a new love for Ecuadorian food. I've been able to try so many new things here and they have all been delicious. Except for the cuy. For those of you that don't know, cuy is otherwise known as ginuea pig. We ordered one for our group to try yesterday at lunch. It tasted sweet and fishy. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. But now I can say I ate it and gross out all my friends when I get back!

Anyway, back to my discoveries. Second, almost every resturant we've gone to has homemade hot sauce. I think they call it ahi. It's probably not spelled right but that's what it sounds like. Well, this hot sauce is amazing. I've been putting it on everything. Third, Chinese food tastes kind of strange in Ecuador. It was very weird listening to Asians talking in Spanish to us. It wasn't bad food, I just felt like it was kind of out of place.

For my final food discovery, I would like to dedicate the next few lines to Arenas, the bakery next to our apartment. Ecuador has some of the best bread I've ever had. It's always fresh and hot. The rolls are fluffy pillows of goodness and the arapes, which are a type of pastry are amazing. When I go up on the roof in the morning I can smell the bread baking. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get some bread past cutsoms when we leave...

All in all, the food here is great. I think what I'm most grateful about is that I haven't gotten sick from any of it! Trust me, the first day we were here I ate some questionable meat products. I literally didn't know what the some of things on my plate were. But they were good! Anyway, I hope I've been able to educate you on the foodie ways of Ecuador. Keep eating!
Kathleen

1 comment:

  1. fantastico!! I love your open mind and sense of adventure!!! Trying the food everywhere I go is one of my favorite things. It's such a big part of the culture--and it's different everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter