Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Child Survival Project

Yesterday we went to see the Child Survival Project. This is a program for kids who aren't old enough to be sponored through Compassion but still need help with medical care, food, things like that. We got to meet some of the mothers whose children are in this program. They all have very little kids, about 1-3 years old. We also got to visit two of the mother's houses with them. The first house we went to was in a alley way, it was basically a hole in the wall. Dirt floor, a tarp for a roof, one bed. It was maybe half the size of my bedroom at home, but that was her whole house. I couldn't get over it. And the craziest part is, she rents that home. For 20 dollars a month and that doesn't include electricity. Her husband works as a mason earning 55 dollars a week. I am the same age as this girl, but we couldn't be more different. She is already married and has a little boy. She is raising a family and trying to support her husband and finish her high school studies on the weekends. She is doing things beyond her maturity level and yet she seems happy, grateful. I don't think I could be happy in her situation, I think I would be angry, scared. Overall a very humbling experience. Everyone is so welcoming here. I only met these women for a few hours, but they gave everyone in our group a hug and kiss goodbye, as if we were old family friends coming for a visit. I love it. Can't wait to see what else is in store!
Thanks for praying,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth,

    As I reread this I am impressed with your maturity level. You are blessed and you are a blessing to others around you.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter