Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Perspective

Last Sunday, I was talking with a friend at church when we heard some commotion right behind us. A frantic lady had a small child in her arms that was choking on something. The little girl was clearly struggling for air and turning colors by the time I saw her. I merely tried to comfort her while another lady administered the blows to her back that dislodged the piece of candy. The sound of her crying was music to our ears. What a relief to know that life-giving oxygen was once again entering her body.

It was over in seconds, but something changed in me in that instant. When I saw that little girl's struggle for survival, life suddenly become more precious. I was happier to see friends and I was eager to say "Hi" to people I didn't know. Holding my wife's hand during service was never sweeter. I was paying attention to the little things around me like never before. Little things like people, relationships, and life itself. Things that I think matter to God, as well.

As Jesus hung on the cross there were two criminals, one on either side. They were both talking trash and ridiculing Jesus along with the crowd. But then something happened in one of them. They both seemingly witnessed the same things, but only one got what was going on and recognized Him as the Son of God. His perspective changed. (Luke 23:32-43)

Some of us need a harder jolt than others, but God has ways of getting our attention when He needs to. I have to wonder how much I am missing when I am too caught up in myself to see Him at work all around me.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this article a lot. It opened my eyes as well to the preciousness of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some days when I find myself in this situation--realizing that I need to slow down and appreciate the important things in my life ... which are, of course, not things at all. Those are the nights that I snuggle my kids a bit longer or head back to their rooms after they're already asleep--just soaking it all in. It's easy to get caught up in the day to day stuff of life. Sometimes we get these reminders to stop and breathe and really see.

    I'm truly enjoying your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter