Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Change in course

As I mentioned in an earlier post, God has ways of getting our attention when He needs to. The story of what led us to head to Ecuador would not be complete without mention of Jonny.

Jonny and I became instant friends in first grade and where extremely close through our teenage years. We shared a love of cars, trucks, dirt bikes, music and on and on. We grew up together. And he was the best man in my wedding. Our lives took different directions, but our relationship didn't change. Sometimes after several months he would stop over and we would pick up like we had been together the day before. I tried to explain our relationship to Michelle one time and she cut me off saying "I know that, just because I am your wife, I could call Jonny anytime of the night or day and he would drop everything and come running." Yep, that about sums it up.

In 2000, I really seemed to have it all. Married to the girl of my dreams, I had 3 beautiful kids, a nice house, a boat and a good career. Then it disaster struck. Jonny was killed in an industrial accident. My world started to fall apart. Things I thought I knew weren't making sense anymore. Part of me was gone. How could this be? I had lost grandparents and old family friends, and while painful it still made sense. They lived a long life and then as time took its toll, their health started to fail and eventually they passed on. But Jonny was only 35! Never married, no kids! He had been part of my life forever. How could he just be gone?

Through the grieving and pain, God began to show me some things. That life is not all about me and my happiness. That there is more to life than acquiring stuff and living for myself. He showed me that it is relationships that truly matter. And foremost, a real relationship with Him. Not as a backup plan when I get into trouble, but as a heartfelt desire to know Him better and to trust Him with everything.

Of course I still miss Jonny, but lately I have been able to thank God for the years we did have together. I celebrate the memories I have of him. I look back at the things that God has taught me through this most unpleasant period, and I just have to thank Him for being patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter